DC23: After the Pandemic
The final programme is available here.
Apologies for the delay, but we are delighted to open registration for DC23, a Dancecult conference to be held at the University of Huddersfield, UK, 19-20 October 2023. Hosted with the support of UoH Dept of Music and Design Arts and Dancecult Research Network, DC23 will involve two full days of dialogue on the state of research in the field of electronic music and dance culture. Hosting delegates from around the world, DC23 is an opportunity for graduate students and senior researchers to share insights on electronic music, dance industries and events in the post-pandemic world. An afterparty will be hosted in Sheffield on the evening of 20 Oct.
Keynotes will be delivered by Prof Alice O’Grady and Prof Trace Reddell.
Delegates and attendees are encouraged to book accommodation for the nights of 18 and 19 October. See Accommodation below for options.
Sign up for conference updates. See below.
The conference will be followed by an optional afterparty on the evening of the 20 Oct in Sheffield, a city 1.5 hours from Huddersfield. A coach/bus will transport registered afterparty goers to Sheffield for the afterparty in the late afternoon of 20 Oct (at a time and from a place to be advised). Those wishing to attend the afterparty are encouraged to book accommodation in Sheffield for 20 Oct. See below for accommodation options in Sheffield near the venue. The coach will drop travellers at these nearby hotels.
Conference and Afterparty registration now open!
DC23 Registration fees and dates:
- DC23 Early Bird Registration Full Fee (valid if paid by 1 August 2023) £100
- DC23 Early Bird Registration Concession Fee for Students or Unwaged (valid if paid by 1 August 2023) £25
- DC23 General Registration Full Fee for payments between 1 August - 1 September 2023 £120
- DC23 General Registration Concession Fee for Students or Unwaged for payments between 1 August - 1 September 2023 £40
- DC23 Late Registration Full Fee for payments between 2 September - 18 October 2023 £160
- DC23 Late Registration Concession Fee for Students or Unwaged for payments between 2 September - 18 October 2023 £60
- DC23 Afterparty (20 Oct) registration: £10. This will cover a seat on a coach from University of Huddersfield to Sheffield + event entrance.
Huddersfield for the nights of Wed 18 and Thurs 19 October:
Sheffield for the night of Fri 20 Oct (both hotels are very close to the afterparty venue):
- Premier Inn (Sheffield City Centre - St Mary's Gate) (£80)
- Ibis (Sheffield City Centre - St Mary's Gate) (£90)
Prices are approximates per night.
- Conference. Manchester Airport is the closest airport to Huddersfield (and Sheffield).
- Trains from Manchester to Huddersfield (about 40 mins).
- Trains from Sheffield to Manchester airport (about 1.5 hours).
- Afterparty. Following the conference in the late afternoon of 20 Oct, a one way coach will transport registered afterparty goers from the University of Huddersfield to the Sheffield hotels listed above (i.e. near the afterparty venue).
Note. We will not be arranging any return coach to Huddersfield. Delegates returning to Manchester Airport should arrange for a train from Sheffield station to Manchester Airport.
Be advised that the Afterparty (in Sheffield) will be 1.5 hours on trains/bus from Huddersfield. If you wish to attend the afterparty, you should book a hotel in Sheffield (and not Huddersfield) for the evening of 20 Oct.
Code of conduct:
DC23 is dedicated to creating a safe, respectful, and collegial environment. There is no place at DC23 for harassment or intimidation based on race, religion, ethnicity, language, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, physical or cognitive ability, age, appearance, or other group status. Unsolicited physical contact, unwelcome sexual attention, and bullying behavior are likewise unacceptable. In the event that a participant has been made to feel unsafe or unwelcome at DC23, please contact members of the organising committee (wearing name tags) who are available to assist:
Anita Jóri: firstname.lastname@example.org
Graham St John: G.St.John@hud.ac.uk
Phone numbers of the above contacts will be provided in the short programme printout available for registrants at the event.
DC23 is enabled by the Dancecult Research Network and the University's Huddersfield’s Department of Music and Design Arts. It is partnered with Dancecult: The Journal of Electronic Dance Music Culture.
The DC23 organising committee includes: Graham St John (chair), Dave Payling (events chair), Botond Vitos (registration and website), Rupert Till, and Anita Jóri (programming).